This a joint project of the Electric Vehicle Council of Ottawa, Ecology Ottawa and Healthy Transportation Coalition
e-Bus Ottawa Campaign #ebusottawa
We are seeking the following from Ottawa City Council to match the commitments already made by Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Laval and Edmonton:
- To run an electric bus pilot in 2020
- To introduce electric buses on regular service by 2021
- To purchase only electric buses starting in 2024
- To have a 100% electric bus fleet by 2035
Why should OC Transpo start the switch to electric buses?
Fighting Climate Change
- OC Transpo buses produce 45% of the emissions from the City of Ottawa’s operations
- Electric buses have 95% lower emissions
- If the City of Ottawa is do its share to meet Canada’s Paris goals, for 2030 and 2050, action is required to plan the transition now.
- e-Buses are nicer to ride, quieter and cleaner
- They are more reliable, meaning more time on the road, less in the shop for repairs
- e-Buses mean more transit with the same operating budget
- e-Buses are much cheaper to operate
- Fuel costs – a fully electric fleet will save about $30 million per year
- Maintenance costs – a fully electric fleet will save about $20 million per year
EVCO is working with the Healthy Transportation Coalition and Ecology Ottawa to gain these commitments in 2019.